Almost a year ago, I shared this tutorial for an easy window cornice. Since the nursery room painting has been completed, we were finally able to put up the window cornice for this room and hide the hardware from the roller blinds.
You can find a tutorial for this cornice in last year’s post, but I thought I’d revisit the simple steps here today as well. This project is so easy it can really be accomplished in an afternoon, so it doesn’t take a lot of explaining to show you.
The first step is to form your frame. This time I used a 1 x 8 board (last time I used a 1 x 10). The length will be determined by your window. Measure the width of your window and add at least an inch. Then cut the pieces for the sides to 3-4 inches in length. Attach the smaller pieces to the outsides of the board using flat corner braces.
Next wrap the front and sides of the cornice with batting. You can buy this by the yard at your local fabric/quilting store. This part is very basic upholstering. Simply attach the batting to the board using a staple gun, pulling the batting tightly and smoothly as you go. I like to start in the middle of the board and work my way out to the sides.
Next, repeat the previous step but with the fabric instead of the batting. I like to fold the fabric underneath to make a nice clean “seam.” My fabric was not wide enough to go the length of the board, so I had to match the fabric in the middle and sew it together. This takes a careful eye, so if you can purchase the fabric the length of your cornice, that is ideal.
Lastly, attach the cornice to the wall using a corner brace. This part is not a lot of fun as you are working in a tight space. I recommend attaching the corner brace to the cornice and then marking your screw/drill holes onto your wall. Then, remove the the corner brace from the cornice and attach to the wall. Finally, set the cornice up to the wall affixed corner braces and attach (for a second time) to the cornice. For me, this has been the easiest way to get into the small area in the quickest amount of time.
I am so excited to have this project done and to finally have some of my Charley Harper for Birch fabric incorporated into the room. I am almost done with my son’s quilt and am excited to share some more fun nursery decor projects with you this week!